Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Book Talk!



Recently I read a Linda Fairstein book [she's my current go to author for an entertaining read without having to make a major brain or time committment] and am still dwelling on something that was mentioned, probably because I wasn't buying it. It wasn't a big deal, not part of the plot or character development, just a throw away comment that was completely opposite from what I thought. After a murder, the main character [a lawyer] mentions there were more guns in LA than NYC. Not gang related guns, but your common citizen owning guns.

Ummm, no, I don't think so. Growing up in So. Cal., I never once saw a gun and knew of one person who had ever been to a shooting range [job related]. Considering I go back a few times a year, nothings changed. On the other hand, having spent ten years on the other coast, I can count on one hand and have left over fingers, the people from our little town that I know [as in have weekend bbq's with] who haven't ever touched a gun.

Yup, that one statement jarred me enough to even ask others which place they thought had more guns. Half a dozen people asked [we were Indiana at the time so, other than me, neither coasts inhabitants were involved] and all agreed on NYC.

Did it ruin the story for me? No, but it sat in my mind as being off kilter.

This happened with another author I enjoyed reading only I couldn't let their throwaway comment pass so easily. My hometown was the setting and the heroine drove "the coastal route" down to San Diego, enjoying the view of the ocean and beaches along the way. Ummm, no, can't be done. Camp Pendleton doesn't open its gates to anyone to drive through. Besides that, the author mentioned the drive took an hour and a half, double no. Speed limit, no traffic, it's more like 45 minutes. I couldn't let this pass - if you're going to be specific, then be right. Anyway, I might pick up a random book by this author, although that's about it, no more automatic buys.

I'm not sure why I didn't react as harshly to Fairstein as I did with the other author. Maybe because I don't write mysteries that I'm more tolerant, maybe, although I don't think so. How about you? Have you not only been pulled out of a story, but also pulled away from an author?

No comments: