Thursday, September 17, 2009

My eReader Thoughts

I'm getting closer to delving into purchasing a dedicated eReader! As an author/reader who really enjoys the ebook format, it may shock many people to realize I've never owned a eReader. Nope. I firsted started reading ebooks on a laptop, then went to the Pocket PC, and am currently on the iTouch.

The reason I haven't bought a dedicated eReader is because I haven't found a device that will do everything I want, which isn't all that much. What exactly am I looking for?

1. I want it to be capable of carrying copious amounts of ebooks. Who knows what I'll be in the mood for when I get a chance to read.

2. I want it to be wifi so I can shop wherever I want. This is where business and pleasure mix for me. Being someone who receives royalty checks, I prefer to make my purchases through the publisher first. After that, it's either All Romance eBooks] or Barnes & Noble [the latter now has both my ebooks and paperbacks sitting side-by-side.

3. I want to be able to hold it easily in one hand and turn pages without it being a big production.

4. I want to be able to read an ebook in the format of my choice - PDF. Having been reading ebooks for almost ten years, I have a huge library in this format, and like having the opportunity to read them all.

See, I'm not asking for much. So, who have I had my eyes on that will do all this?

IREX Technologies iLiad.

Since I first stumbled upon the iLiad [which, as a Classic Greek major, immediately drew my attention], I've been moving that much closer to taking the last step to owning a device purely for reading ebooks, and now I'm there. It has everything I want and much more.

Thank you, Kevin Hamilton, CEO IREX, for sticking with it and giving us readers [and authors who truly enjoy the ebook format] a great eReader!

2 comments:

Book Dragon said...

great thoughts! Can I say "ditto"? Well, except the author and 10 years part, this is it exactly.

Congratulations on your win!

Tilly Greene said...

Go for it, say ditto loud enough for those ereader producers to hear - I'm not sure they listen to actual readers.

Thank you very much Book Dragon :-)