Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Book Talk!

There was an interesting discussion about book covers yesterday on Borders True Romance blog. Reading the article, comments, and watching the video had me thinking about how I go about buying a book.

It's interesting to realize I no longer go into a bookstore with list of books in hand, eager to buy. My purchases in a brick & mortar are now strictly spontaneous, and normally based on the cover - something I think I learned from being an ebook reader. Show me an interesting cover and I'll pick it up for more details. However, if I can't read the title because the font is so elaborate, bye bye.

Anyway, back to hardcover/paperbacks purchases. If there is an author on my automatic purchase list [of which there are few] and one I want to keep [of which I have limited space for books], then the latest release is ordered online, and wings its way to me on the release day - no more driving around for a copy. Same can be said for a book that has my attention [normally non-fiction]. That is one I order online and am often surprised when it shows up on my doorstep. If they aren't a keeper but an author I know will offer me a good read, then I'll most likely pick up a copy for the next trip, and leave it wherever I am when I finish.

So, what's sitting on my shelf in my to-be-read stack?

Rogues' Gallery: The Secret History of the Moguls and the Money that Made the Metropolitan Museum

A Rogue of My Own

Burn: A Novel

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Novels)

Fire and Ice: A Novel

Child 44 - waiting for either Thanksgiving or Christmas flights.

And right now, while the cutie is in physical therapy, I'm reading Skin Trade (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 17)

Yup, some of these books have been on the shelf for over a year, and I'll be adding some more over the holidays! I guess it's obvious that right now, I'm reading ebooks before the paperback/hardcover. Soon, all my fiction and non-fiction will be an ebook, and that will leave my children's picture books and pop-ups the only ones I buy to place on a shelf.

No comments: