Monday, July 25, 2011

A Week of Savage Beauty

Fashion, as many of you know, is a passion for me, and if you didn't know?  You do now.

Last week I braved the heat wave and went to The Met, explored the Savage Beauty exhibit which offered a glimpse into the world Lee Alexander McQueen created where fashion is art, and came back with the catalogue - a hefty hardcover book that's as unique as the designer himself.

If asked for a single word to describe this man's work, the first that comes to my mind is "stunning", which doesn't do him justice.

So, I thought I'd take this week to post pics of some of my favorite pieces, and include the quotes from the book that accompanies them.  Why the quotes?  Some of them struck me personally, even touched on how I thought or even approached writing.

Dress, VOSS, spring/summer 2001
Red and black ostrich feathers and glass medical slides painted red.

"There's blood beneath every layer of skin."*

*Alexander McQueen, Savage Beauty by Andrew Bolton, Solve Sundsbo, Tim Blanks and Susannah Frankel - exhibition hardcover catalogue

No comments: