Thursday, November 19, 2009

Fabulous Female Authors I've Read in 2009!

Everyday, a couple of times, I read various blogs through bloglines [what would I do without this service?] and one from Susan, of West of Mars fame, popped to remind me of something I meant to do.

Let me give you a little back information. A few weeks, maybe a month ago, Publisher's Weekly produced a best of 2009 book list. No, I don't shop from these, but I'll read them, and see if there's anything that might interest my mom or maybe someone else I like to buy books for. Well, I didn't see the list, I read about the top ten all being written by men. Normally this wouldn't catch my attention either, but I am sure there has been some great books by women - off the top of my head, what about The Help by Kathryn Sockett. Anyway, another blog I read by Moonrat touched on this subject and put out a challenge for people to list the [published in] 2009 books they'd read that were written by women.

Here you go, not many, but I enjoyed each and every one of them:

Love's Immortal Pantheon Anthology by Dagmar Avery, Cat Johnson, Tilly Greene, Kayleigh Jamison, Eliza Gayle, Selena Illyria and Diana DeRicci - seven women, including me, so of course I read the other stories!
Nauti Intensions by Lora Leigh
Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein
Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich
London for the Holidays by Stella and Audra Price
Skin Trade by Laurell K Hamilton
Highland Heat by Tilly Greene - yeah, another one by me.

I figure the main question in your mind is "Why so few?" I have 3 more romances [historical and a couple of contemporaries] published this year that are sitting in my TBR pile, alongside 2 non-fictions that were by men, and therefore couldn't be counted. The rest of what I read were published in previous years, like Maria Tatar's The Annotated Brothers Grimm published in 2004.

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, thanks for the link love! Have you seen the new Women on Wednesday meme I'm launching? It's at my Rocks 'n Reads blog -- http://rockread.westofmars.com (Leaving the link not to spam but because there's a typo in the tab on the website that the Tour Manager hasn't fixed yet.)

My own list is up at the Meet and Greet. And... most of the books on it weren't published in '09. I'm just too backlogged to read so recently right now!

Tilly Greene said...

I haven't read much that was published this year either and what I did reading was mainly non-fiction, and by men - weird.

Shall check out the link :-)