One recipe, from Disneyland [close but inland and for the visiting masses], is: 2 parts Myer's Dark Rum, 2 parts pineapple juice, 3 parts orange juice, 1 part sweet and sour mix, and topped off with 1 part Bacardi 151 rum floated on top.
The other is from cats big boy at Tiki Central and [sounds really close, but I'm not sure of the "almond" bit so we'll try it and see] consists of:
- A full glass of shaved ice.
- A splash of simple syrup. (Available at "Smart and Final")
- A splash of orgeat syrup (gives it that almond flavor). It can also be purchased at Smart and Final. Amaretto is a nice substitution.
- A splash of passion fruit syrup(this is what makes it different from a mai tai). Usually available at Smart and Final or The Liquor Barn.
- light rum. Probably around 2 shots in a brandy sniffer sized glass.
- A mixture of 60% pineapple juice, 40% orange juice.
- A floater of dark rum. Myers is not dark enough. Use either "Whalers" (sold at Trader Joe's) or "Trader Vic's"
2 ounces Myers Light Rum
Equal Parts: Fresh Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice and Passion Fruit Juice
1.5 ounces Floater of Dark Rum
Made in a large snifter over crushed ice
Wish us luck and get your tiki on!