Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's That Time

Because I don't cook, my cutie and I made a deal when we first got married: Every year I would learn and master one dish.

While it hasn't been easy, I've done it, and this year it's a Roasted Chicken. There were others I tried and would have added, but they were really just very slightly different [as in chicken taco vs beef taco and the cutie did bbq the chicken] from something I already knew how to do. The chicken thing has been all right to do and I can usually make a fried rice and chicken korma with the left overs - three meals, done! I like those numbers.

The recipe I followed was found on eHow.com and is called 'How to Cook a Whole Chicken: Best and Simplest Way Ever'.

Love the internet.

Here's the basic instructions:

* Preheat over to 400/F
* Clean out and dry off your chicken
* Spread about 2-3 tablespoons of butter [or olive oil] all over with you hands
* Salt and Pepper the outside and some on the inside as well
* Rosemary and/or other herbs can also be added
* Place chicken breast up on a rack, resting inside a roasting pan, and cook

Timing is 65 minutes for a 3.5 lb chicken and 8-10 minutes for every pound over that.

What I did was cook for the 65 minutes, then turned the chicken so breast was down, and cooked for another 10 minutes. Moist and delicious.

So go forth and cook a chicken, make multiple meals from it, and relax with a book while it's all going on. Enjoy!

Thank you to The Broke-Ass Bride for the cute pic!

No comments: