Friday, December 03, 2010

Special Christmas Edition Movie Talk

The holiday season is building up and some folks listen to music, decorate, cook, and/or watch movies to feed the fun.

I'm the latter.

My movie choices run from b/w sap to contemporary camp and I love them all.  Here are those on my shelves and will be watched in the next couple of weeks.

Miracle on 34th Street, the original version with Maureen O'Hara and Edmund Gwenn.  Everytime I go into NYC, leave Penn Station, and see Macy's across the way, I think of this flick.  I know, it should be Thanksgiving that makes me think of it, but no, it's seeing that particular store that does it - no matter what time of year.


Now, there's a routine to the next two, most likely because my sister and I used to watch them at our Grandparents house, one after the other.  First is Holiday Inn and after that is White Christmas.  OMG, I can't sing or dance, but both of these are my all time favs - no matter what time of year.  Seeing a theme here?


The last one I'll recommend you watch, I will be, is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!  To put it bluntly, the Griswold's just do it for me.  My memory genes are dead, but I can quote a few lines from this one.  The cat in the tree?  Aunt Bethany's pressie and Uncle Lewis's hairpiece?  Todd and Margo?  Cousin Eddie?  OMG, Cousin Eddie and the "shitters full" ... hilarious ... no matter what time of year!

Why do I keep saying that?  Because a favorite flick is timeless :-)

Anyway, you know what I'll be watching over the next couple of weeks, and most likely more than once.

Ho Ho Ho - fun time is here!

Okay, those are my favs, what are yours?

7 comments:

Glenn Stuart said...

I have to admit, I do love Miracle on 34th Street. My personal favourite is 'Scrooge' starring Alistair Simm. Probably not so well known in the US, this is a classic film that hasn't done so well being transferred into colour. I much prefer the original. Of course, another face is It's A Wonderful Life. Hard to beat really. All of these films are from the late 40s, early 50s...the golden age? somehow modern films just don't have the same feel. Why is that?

Tilly Greene said...

For some odd reason I can't get into It's A Wonderful Life - I think Harvey scarred me and that's what I see whenever Jimmy Stewart pops onto the screen :-)

As for Simm as Scrooge, he is the best! Now that they have more than the 4 then 5 channels that were it before it's easier to find it playing in jolly ol' during the holidays and I'm a fiend for the old flicks, obviously :-) I think up until the 60's, when it started to change, the studios who controlled everything freely tapped into the viewers emotions and didn't care if it was too much.

Films are good today, but they are definitely different, and Miracle on 34th Street wouldn't make it - too sweet and no big bang factors.

Jane said...

I love A Christmas Story and always catch the 24 hour marathon. Love Actually is also another favorite.

Sherry said...

My favorite and about the only one I watch is A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott as Scrooge. I love it and can watch it over and over.

sstrode@scrtc.com

practimom said...

I have already broke out my copy of the Griswolds! A White Christmas is another great one and a Christmas Story. But i think my favs are all the claymation ones...Rudolph, Nester the long eared Christmas Donkey, Santa Claus comes to town.....those are the best to me. I guess it just brings out the inner kid in me!

Tilly Greene said...

Ooo, Jane and Sherry, yes - Love Actually! I forgot all about that one and it falls into my timeless category. Love it and Bill Nighs (sp?) is utterly delightful :-)

It always struck me as odd to see George C Scott as Scrooge but he pulled it off and loads of peop love A Christmas Story but I have never seen it. Weird, I know. I wonder how much are childhood shaped our viewing choices.

Tilly Greene said...

Hiya darlin'b The old cartoons are great, although the one with Rudolph, sulky elf and Abominable Snowmonster spooked me as a kid. Really enjoy those old classics. By the way, thank for the shout out over on Papberback Dolls - so sweet and hope you win some goodies :-)