Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cover Talk - Again!

Not too long ago I mentioned cover art needed to make a Come Back, well, I'm sticking with that and pleading the publishers to do something.

Besides title and authors name, covers need to tell me genre, mood, and a few hints that will tempt my inner-reader to buy.

I've just been shopping on Amazon.co.uk for a family member in England and found a few books that interested me.  I swapped over to the US site and the cover of one made me doubt it was the book for me, and I decided they can wait until I'm in the UK next.  That's bad because, as far as I'm concerned, those were sales lost because of the publisher.  They chose to package the books in two entirely different ways which made me, in turn, doubt they were the right choices for me. 

What do you think?


Colin Cotterill is the author and while I seriously dislike the quote used, I do like the covers for both the hardcover and paperback as they appear in the UK.  Without the unkind comparison, they tell me the series is light and fun, which is the complete opposite of the vibe I get from US paperback cover on the bottom [hardcover was much the same just a slightly muter coloring].

I enjoyed Tarquin Hall's The Case of the Missing Servant: From the Files of Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator [1st book] and plan to get The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing when it comes out in paper on June 21st.  Shamini Flint's 'Inspector Singh Investigates' [1st book is A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder] books looked good as well [same covers in UK and US].  Both these books recommended I check out Colin Cotterill's 'Dr Siri Paiboun Mystery' [as above, the 1st book is The Coroner's Lunch] offerings and they also interested me.  They all see like good summer reads, but I'm holding back on the Cotterill book until I can find out more information.

Covers count publishers!

No comments: