Thursday, January 03, 2008

Thursday 13 - #26!



I'm Back! Okay, we returned sometime on New Years Eve and am slowly getting back into the swing of things - very slowly and with a few really stupid mistakes along the way. With very short notice as in the day after we had all their pressies shipped to the right of us, we decided to spend the holidays to the right of us - I know, but we wouldn't have carried them over with us anyway. We shopped and posted pressies to the left, wrote this sides cards and posted, packed, left SideShow Bob [prelit palm "christmas" tree], and flew away. So how did it go:

1. Hassle free getting to the airport, checking in, and made it to the lounge where we sat down with a glass of champagne and wrote the cards out for the right of us with plans to post from the airport when we landed. See we were thinking ahead! The flight was slightly delayed, but by the time we pulled away from the gate there were 50 planes ahead of us - GASP! Yes, I counted the planes waiting behind us as we rushed down the runway and hit 38 by the time we pulled up. Most of the flight was full of turbulence so sleeping was tricky - and I missed the hot fudge sundae I'd been looking forward to.

2. Despite the delay, we were only about an hour late. Luggage was there so we went up to the cafe, put stamps on our cards and posted them, then the in-laws arrived and the rush rush began. After flying 6+ hours, we drove 4 [okay I slept most of the way] to the brother-in-laws and were thrilled we had the attic room with our own bathroom and a tv. It was deliciously quiet up there - and with 3 kids under 10, that was really nice. One problem, it was flippin' frigid!

3. The next day, we went into town and did a little shopping and narked everyone off by stopping by the pub on the walk home :-) Yup, roped the sister-in-law onto the dark side. Christmas Eve we hung out at home and played with the kids - eating and drinking, you know, the usual. Later, we wrapped up pressies that had arrived before us unwrapped and then the cutie put together a medieval castle, my part was the battering ram.

4. We actually woke up early - or early for us considering our bodies thought it was about 3am. The house was quiet so I took a shower, pushed the cutie in to take one and went downstairs only to find the kiddos had dashed through their pressies from Santa. Niece #4 had been happily snoozing and the other two waiting patiently for her to wake up. BIL and SIL finally took pity on the boys and woke up sleeping beauty. It was a blast watching them play with their pressies - until the cutie showed the youngest, wildest, nephew #3 how to fling the army out of the castle via slapping the drawbridge down to the ground. Yes, someone is not in the brothers good graces but what can I say, the cutie is a genius :-)

5. Did I just call him a genius? My mistake, because the man found in town a hot pink cowboy hat with a tiara that lit up for me me. Of course I wore it, anything is better than those found in the crackers. Oh, yes, we did the christmas cracker thing, ate turkey, the cutie bbq'd a slab of beef, and enjoyed my favorite bad for you sausage wrapped in bacon. There were roasted potatoes, parsnips and more, as well as mashed potatoes that made it on to my plate - all lovely!

6. Boxing day was more of the same, only I od'd on fabulous cheese :-) What can I say, I'm easy for a nice creamy brie on crackers. The BIL was kind enough to buy in a couple of different dark beers - I know, who'd of thunk it, a girl from the left of us who never liked beer, moves to the land of ale and falls in love with it. So, yes, I had some Black Sheep - the Emmerdale special edition was all right - and a few others.

7. Because it was raining on Christmas day, we took the kids out on their toys this day and it didn't turn out so good for everyone. Niece #4 [who is 7] on her roller blades was wonderful, only going downhill gave her a few nerves. Nephew #3 [who is 3] pushed his scooter and was happy doing that - I think he'll be a demon once on the driveway and flat road. Newphew #2 [who is 9] wiped out on the skateboard and wouldn't carry it back home, in fact he put some serious distance between him and it, so the cutie and I took turns. I forgot how much balance it takes to ride one of those things.

8. The next day we made the drive north. I have always disliked this drive and it wasn't any better this time, in fact it was really bad! The FIL had to drive [and he sucks big time, the cuties hand was my saving grace] and there was traffic so a usually 4 hour drive took over 7. I admit to falling asleep at one time and woke up on screaming - no one said anything, but later I asked the cutie and he admitted his father had been speeding then slamming on his brakes. Yeah, I figured it was something like that because I can sleep like the dead if I'm tired. Somewhere along the way we stopped at an "american diner". Yup, I'm always dubious of these things, especially since a beefburger is not a hamburger. But they sold "burgers" and it was actually ok, as were the fries

9. Once we made it up to the north, we went to the chippie [fish & chip shop] and I had a sausage and chips with scraps. No, this is not a healthy meal, it is all fried, the scraps are bits of fried batter that fall off, but so good with vinegar, salt and a bun with butter, mmmm. Later we walked down to the local pub to see if the cutie had any friends in and there was the best man from our wedding, propping up the bar doing the quiz. We joined him and lost, dang, but I love the quizzes. Once that was finished we sat in a booth and were joined by another friend who was up from London for the hols.

10. This day should have been relaxing, but the FIL got us in the car again. He likes to go around roudabout on two reals and floor it to the next one. What does this do to someone who has a dubious stomach - that's right, I was ready to throw-up. We made it to the seaside in less than a half hour and I never thought the north sea looked so welcoming and that's saying alot. We stopped at a pub, I had water instead of what I would've liked to have. We walked along the front and out onto the pier before heading back to town for dinner.

11. That night we met up with best man and friend at the pub for a crawl, but because it was raining we stayed there, ready to take a taxi to the next where we'd set up to meet up with another friend later on. But we pleasantly surprised when another friend and his wife showed up. The last time I saw the wife, she wasn't doing so well. They'd done an around the world trip and caught up with us after having come up through south america [yes, she had the water]. She looks great and I was thrilled to catch up with her. All six of us grabbed a taxi to the next pub and met up with the other friend. The pub had late hours so we closed it down and they kicked us out at about 1 and walked home.

12. This day we took the in-laws out for lunch and shopping. It was an easy day mainly because I think the cutie and I were feeling a little worse for wear. Who wouldn't when one round had been a pint with shots dropped inside it. Later we went to the bowling club to watch the cuties team play away. Now, get your head around this, we were watching the game taking place a few hours drive through Al Jazerra with a turkish commentator. Yup, my head is spinning as well. They won so all was good and we headed home to pack, have an early dinner before heading off to another set of friends. They couldn't make it out the night before - no one to leave the kiddies with - so we went to them. It was great to catch up with them, they bought in bottles of coke for me and yes, I partook. In fact, everywhere I went they kindly had cokes for me - so thoughtful!

13. It was another late night - not bad for us because we thought we were still on the time here - silly us. Next morning we went drove to the airport and stayed at a hotel for the early morning flight. We watched another footie game in the bar before heading up to take a relaxing bath and sleep. Everything went well on this leg of the journey, and I enjoyed the hot fudge sundae :-) The only bad part was they screwed up the customs video thing and I missed the end of the movie I was watching, so if anyone knows how Goya's Ghost ends please let me know.

Get this, an hour and 10 minutes after landing, we'd made it through immigration, luggage collection, customs [without any questions about the duffel bag full of smokey bacon, worcester sauce, and prawn cocktail bags of crisps, oh and some chocolate as well], driving what would normally be about a 45 minute drive, and we were home! No snow to shovel, no more ice skating rink, it was all good. We dashed next door to wish the neighbors a happy new year and then we were home. It was a lovely trip, lots of time with family and friends, just what we needed to end the year on a good note and we needed that.

So, happy new year everyone, may this one be a great one for us all.

9 comments:

Vicki Gaia said...

What a vacation! Sounds fun...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like overall a good trip and a great homecoming.

Happy TT!

KW said...

Sounds like y'all had an awesome time except for the slamming on the brakes and waking up screaming! Happy New Year to you and your family!


http://katskrackerbox.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/thursday-thirteen-23-13-things-about-bauxite-arkansas/

Anna said...

what an adventure. as they say, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters! happy new ear!

Unknown said...

Quite the adventure, and I would have probably needed to be rushed to the hospital for an OD on cheese that would be heaven.
Happy New Years to you, my theme this week is 2008 goals, which includes focus more on my writing.

pussreboots said...

Happy new year. Thanks for stopping by.

Darla said...

Sounds like an exciting and eventful trip! Happy 2008!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had such a great time.

Happy New Year!

~X

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting. You had a great time.