Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Superior Fire Department Toy Drive

::: Permission to Forward to anyone you can think of ;-):::

I am here in hopes of helping Todd get toy donations for the Superior Fire Department again this year. :-)

We live in a small old mining town, population three thousand. My husband who helps me with all things RJ runs the local fire department in town. It's a low income town and there are a lot of kids here that don't get much for Christmas. Weeks before Christmas the fire department decorates one of the fire trucks with thousands of holiday lights, fire personnel and yours truly spend weeks wrapping every toy brought in with festive Christmas paper. On Christmas Eve Santa and Ms. Claus ride in back of the fire truck and, with Christmas music blaring, the fire truck weaves its way up and down every street in town. The sirens blare every few minutes and as kids hear it they scramble out of their houses. The truck stops and Santa gives each child a toy. The drive itself takes seven hours. It's a big production and one that the fire department takes great pride in.

A few years ago I got involved in the toy drive. With the help of the Romance Community the Fire Dept has been able to give a toy to every child in town for 3 years straight. The toys are not expensive small stuffed animals and 1-4 dollar toys, but it doesn't take a lot to make it a magical night for the kids in town, especially when Santa is delivering the toys personally.

I know it's been a bad year for everyone, but I am really hoping we can raise enough toys again this year. Last year we barely brought in enough, but we did it! ;-)

If anyone is interested in sending in some toys it would be VERY MUCH appreciated by both the fire department and the kids in town ;-)

I really want to thank everyone who has contributed over the years. I go on the drive every year with Todd and I can't describe adequately how incredible the whole experience is. It chokes me up every year watching kids with huge grins on their faces, clutching tight to the toy Santa has given them.

You can check out photos of the Santa Drive here.

If you would like to donate toys or gift cards you can do so by sending them into:
Superior Fire Dept Toy Drive
C/O Superior Fire Department
236 Golf Course Rd
Superior, AZ 85173

The Department is not set up to take Paypal. So anyone who would like to contribute via Paypal can send their donations into Romance Junkies and I will forward the donations onto the Fire Dept. RJ pal info is - info is webmaster@chaosdesigns.net

Cat Brown AKA Chaoscat
(Chaos - It's not just a lifestyle, it's a state of mind)
Owner/Operator Romance Junkies
http://www.romancejunkies.com/

2 comments:

Mitz said...

Hi Tilly

Just read your post. It's nice to hear about people who are still helping bring Christmas for the kids. It sounds like you have started quite a nice little program for the children in your town.

I donate to my local toys for tots program every year. Unfortuately this christmas is looking a little bleak around here. I have 3 teenage boy's of my own and 1 of my older 2 boy's friend is also living with us now.

I'm sure I'll find away to donate to our town, but not sure if I can help you out right now especially being on unemployment myself and at this time of year. God I hope our economy picks up soon.

If by chance I am able to help I will look up post and let you know. I already made myself a note.
Good luck....

Tilly Greene said...

I wish it was my project - it's Cat's from Romance Junkies and I'm pleased to hit a Big Lots and Dollar Store trying to find goodies to send her way.

It all started at an interesting time, we have some serious illnesses going around our families right now, and when the news is bad, we look for ways to change the tide :-)

Have to say, it's thoughtful of you to think about doing something, but your plate is way full right now. Give yourself a break, your tide will change, and you need to be ready when it does.

Hugs darlin' - I'm sending you the positive vibes to help bring the good stuff even sooner :-)