Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Banned Books Week: Do people know what FICTION means?

Fiction is defined as:
  • Prose literature, esp. short stories and novels, about imaginary events and people.
  • Invention or fabrication as opposed to fact.

  • When it comes to Banned Books Week, I often think the challengers forget this one little word and its meaning.  Yes, we learn from books, particularly non-fiction, and others are sheer entertainment.
     
    What I want to spend my time reading may not appeal to the next person, but that's the beauty of the 1st amendment ... we get to choose where to spend our time and not have it forced on us.
     
    Have you chosen a Banned/Challenged book to read? 
     
    Usually I read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, but I'm changing it up this year and going for Dracula by Bram Stoker.
     
    Whitby, Stoker and Dracula are on my mind and you'll soon discover why *cough, Taste for Blood, cough*, but in the meantime, I want to know why this happened in 1994:
     
    Elminated from required reading lists for juniors and sendiors in advanced English classes at the Colony High School in Lewisville, Tex. because "the book contains unacceptable descriptions in the introduction, such as 'Dracular is a the sympton of a wish, largely sexual, that we wish we did not have.'" [Banned Books 2007 Resource Book by Robert P Doyle]

    I don't remember reading that and dang if it doesn't suit why its on my mind, so I shall read it.
      

    No comments: