Friday, October 05, 2012

Banned Books Week: What do John Milton, Lyndon Baines Johnson and Mae West have in common?


I'm not a huge quote person, but I found a couple that spoke well of what challenging/banning books leads to and they are:

Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.
John Milton, Aeropagitica

Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance.
Lyndon Baines Johnson, commenting as he signed into law a bill providing increased Federal aid for library service, February 11, 1964

And finally, because she makes me laugh,

There were a lot of things the censors wouldn't let me do in the movies that I did on stage.  They wouldn't even let me sit on a guy's lap and I'd been on more laps than a napkin.
Mae West, Index on Censorship

No comments: