Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What's on my mind today...

Because of a notorious murder in my family back in the twenties, I've known about Elizabeth Short's, The Black Dahlia, unsolved case for most of my life and still think about it.

She was a young woman, brutally killed, mutilated and her body dumped in a public setting.  As if that wasn't bad enough, it was further sensationalized by the media to the extent no one knew what was real and was pure conjecture, and her killer has never been found.

For some reason I'll often think about Short when a horrific crime or young woman is labeled as missing occurrs in Southern California.

The Black Dahlia is mentioned for this very reason in Missing in Paradise [releasing September 7]:

"Screw scandal, I hope she doesn’t wash up on the beach or become the modern day Black Dahlia."
It's interesting to see up close how various events throughout our lives play out later. Who knew reading about Short's murder as a child would be in my head when I wrote as an adult about a young woman who goes missing - I certainly didn't.

No comments: