Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Big Huge Reader Contest - Day 29!


Light My Fire by Jodi Redford
Buy eBook from Samhain Publishing
Paranormal Romance/Red Hots!/Menage

Aiden Fortune’s orders are clear: Find the woman, claim her as a sexual sacrifice—and share her with his horndog twin brother. Distasteful as it is, the Drakoni council insists the ancient custom be honored. Or Aiden will be banished.

One glance at Dana Cooper, and Aiden is thrown into the dragon version of a tailspin. Claim her? Hell, yes, he’ll claim her. Problem is, she has no idea her father signed away her destiny at birth.

Dana has dated enough whack-a-doodles to fill an insane asylum. Two gorgeous men claiming to be dragons? Par for the course. Until they give her a tantalizing glimpse of their inner beasts, which makes her think she’s the one headed for a padded cell—for actually considering their offer of the hottest sex of her life, for life.

Her resistance melts away under the onslaught of two men who pack enough heat to set off smoke alarms in a six-block radius. Especially when she realizes she’s falling for Aiden. But with a town full of dragon hunters and an enemy lurking in the shadows, surviving a week of Aiden and Jace’s double-teaming will be the least of her problems…

Warning: Contains two smokin’ hot dragons and their not-so-unwilling sacrifice. A few wardrobe malfunctions and inappropriate use of paintbrushes. You might want to have your local fire department on speed dial.

Excerpt

Wiping her damp fingers on the hem of her polo, Dana hustled toward the rear hallway. She rounded the corner in time to see Aiden dragging a limp Emmaline through an opened doorway. Breaking into a run, Dana barreled down the corridor and skidded into her aunt’s small office. Her heart thundering, she gaped at Aiden and Jace while they gently settled Emmaline onto the raggedy tweed loveseat wedged in the corner.

“What happened?”

Aiden grunted. “My dumbass brother showed your aunt his inner beastie.”

Dana glared at Jace. “That better not be code for you waving your Johnson.”

Jace sputtered a laugh. “No.”

A low groan floated from Emmaline and her eyelashes fluttered. Dana rushed to the sofa. She dropped to her knees on the cushion, prompting the broken spring in the frame to give an indignant woongg. Emmaline gave her a blank stare. “I think I fainted. How quaint and embarrassing.”

Relieved almost to tears that her aunt was apparently okay, Dana grinned. “You always were a bit of a drama queen.”

“No, hon. You have me confused with Raul.” Emmaline shifted her head and yelped when she spotted Aiden and Jace. Her face went whiter than Raul’s homemade Alfredo sauce.

Dana shot Jace a fierce look. “Are you certain you didn’t show her your dick?” A hum of warning came from her aunt and Dana rolled her eyes. “Sorry, I mean penis.”

Emmaline struggled to the edge of the cushion. “Don’t antagonize them. Dragons have a fiery temper.”

“Oh my God. I can’t believe you guys told her that kooky story!” Dana jumped up and slashed her hand in the direction of the door. “Get out. Now.”

Emmaline tugged the hem of Dana’s polo shirt. “Hon, fireballs. That’s all I’m saying.”

One corner of Aiden’s mouth tipped upward. “Don’t worry. We have no intention of flambéing your niece.”

“Arrgh. Would you stop it? And you…” Dana shook a finger at Emmaline. “Don’t encourage their lunacy.”

“Sweetheart, listen to me.” Emmaline grabbed Dana’s extended hand and tugged her onto the loveseat. “They really are dragons. Drakoni. I saw it with my own eyes.” She sent a pleading look toward Aiden and Jace. “Show her.”

Both men stood stubbornly mute.

“Oh no you don’t.” Displaying her typical spunk, Emmaline pushed onto her feet and stormed toward the brothers, her orthopedic sneakers squeaking. The crown of her permed hair barely reached the middle of Jace’s broad chest. The huge discrepancy in their sizes didn’t stop her from yapping at him like an enraged Pekinese. “You’re not getting away with making me look like a blabbering fool. I’m giving you two seconds to flash her some lizard eyes or I’m telling those hunters out there exactly what you are.”

Aiden’s nostrils flared. “You wouldn’t.”

Crossing her arms over her chest, Emmaline tapped a foot. “Try me.”

“Damn it.” Aiden plowed his fingers through his hair, leaving it in messy spikes. “We didn’t want to throw everything at Dana before she’s ready.”

“Ah, screw it.” Jace stalked toward the sofa and leaned over Dana. He blinked and his blue irises glimmered, shifting into brilliant amber. Quicker than she could fathom it, his pupils elongated into distinctively reptilian-like slits.

Her chin plummeting, Dana slumped, banging her head on the loveseat’s tall back. Jace turned to face Emmaline. “Happy now?”

“Wh-what was that?” Wincing at the screechiness of her voice, Dana scrambled from the cushions and whirled in front of Jace. His eyes had returned to normal. For a brief moment, she wondered if she’d imagined the whole thing. No, that didn’t make sense. She wasn’t prone to hallucinations. Okay, there’d been that freaky incident involving cold medicine and a talking Ficus tree, but that was a long time ago.

“It was a brief glimpse of my Drakoni form. I’d have shown you more, but I didn’t want to scare you. Not to mention your aunt would have been pissed if I tore through her roof.”

Emmaline sniffed. “You can bet your cute dragon buns on that.”

Dana sank onto the arm of the loveseat and scrubbed a hand across her face. “You know you guys are only supposed to exist in fairy tales and low budget sci-fi movies, right?”

Aiden’s dark, penetrating gaze ensnared her. “And your paintings. Let’s not forget those.”

His husky voice provoked unbidden images of her fantasy dragon—the decadent beast that starred in her most bizarre and X-rated dreams. The same beast that ultimately earned a depiction in her most erotic creation. Heat spiraled from the core of her sex all the way to her nipples. Just thinking about her nocturnal dragon almost made her orgasm. Jeez, thank God she didn’t. How embarrassing would that have been? “Let’s pretend for a second that my head isn’t ready to explode. Mind explaining how you’re able to walk around in a man suit?”

Aiden’s eyebrows winged upward. “Man suit? Interesting term. I’ll have to remember it.” His expansive shoulders hitched in the faintest shrug. “The abridged version is we’re shifters. Our human form was built into our genetic code to enable us to blend in with society.”

Jace nodded. “Yep. Kinda tough for a fourteen-foot dragon not to stick out in the crowd.”

Automatically, Dana’s attention lifted to the ceiling. Okay, he hadn’t been exaggerating about damaging the roof. “Man, you guys must have ginormous houses.”

A chuckle broke from Aiden. “We limit our Drakoni forms for the outdoors.”

“Smart thinking.” Dana fiddled with a stray lock of hair that’d escaped her scrunchie. “Next question—what are you doing here? With me, I mean.”

Aiden stepped beside Jace. “I told you. You’re our sacrifice.”

“What?” Emmaline shrieked.

They all turned to stare at Dana’s aunt. The color slowly leached from her skin again. “Are you saying you’re going to eat her?”

“Well, not necessarily in the way you’re thinking.” A wicked grin stretched Jace’s mouth. Aiden punched him hard enough in the arm he stumbled sideways.

“What my brother means is she’s not that kind of sacrifice.”

“All right, then what kind is she?” Emmaline demanded.

The flush that raced over Aiden’s cheekbones was downright adorable. “Uh…it’s probably best if we don’t go into the nitty-gritty details. I wouldn’t want to embarrass you.”

Enlightenment replaced Emmaline’s scowl. “Sex? Is that what this is about? Jeez Louise, I’m not a nervous virgin who’ll fall into vapors at mere mention of the word.” She suddenly frowned. “Come to think of it, Dana isn’t exactly a virgin either. Isn’t she supposed to be untouched in order to be placed on the sacrificial chopping block? She’s had her fair share of lovers. Not an outrageous amount or anything, but let’s just say the girl’s no longer pure as driven snow. Maybe she’s not exactly tarnished as the mucky black stuff you see piled on the side of the—”

“Okay, you’ve officially clobbered that simile and it’s now whimpering for mercy.” Dana didn’t know whether to hug her aunt or throttle her. On one hand, it was darned sweet that Emmaline was fishing for a way to save Dana from becoming the sacrificial offering. On the other hand, it was rather mortifying to have her sex life up for debate.

“Virginity isn’t a requirement,” Aiden said, his strained voice breaking through Dana’s internal grumblings.

“Besides, do you have any idea how hard it is to find a virgin these days?” Jace’s smile turned teasing. “We’d have better luck finding the Easter Bunny.”

Dana dug her fingers into her temples. “Don’t tell me it exists too?”

“Don’t know. But I sure do love me some rabbit.” Smacking his lips, Jace rubbed his stomach.

“That is really warped.” Despite the weirdness of everything, Dana couldn’t help her chuckle from joining Jace’s full-scale belly laugh. Once the hilarity passed, the seriousness of the situation returned and she shoved her hands against her lap, twisting her fingers together nervously. “I’m still not clear on this whole sacrifice thing. You want me to have sex with one of you—why?”

The now all-too-familiar silent communication passed between Aiden and Jace, earning an exasperated groan from Dana. “Would you quit that and just spit it out already?”

“Fine, you want blunt?” Aiden, his jaw hard as stone, pinned her with a stare that sizzled. “You’re not having sex with one of us. We’re a package deal.”

Buy eBook from Samhain Publishing

Jodi Redford Website

AUTHOR GIVEAWAY TODAY
Leave a comment and/or query today for Jodi Redford to be entered in a drawing for a My Bookstore and More gift certificate.


REMEMBER
Commenting and/or asking questions on an author’s blog for the day will enter you into the Big Huge Reader Contest for a Pink Sony eReader or one of three boxes packed full of RT Booklovers Convention goodies. Unfortunately, due to the grand prize being an electronic and weight of the other three boxes, this contest is for US residents only.

51 comments:

SiNn said...

awesome post ur a new to me author adding you to my wish list ty for postuing the excerpt today

Kristabel Reed said...

whack-a-doodles? *snort* loved that. I especially liked the aunt's voice here, great secondary character support. Dana has a very strong voice, too. Reminds me of early Buffy seasons. :) Always a good thing.

Nancy G said...

I really want to pick this one up. What's not to love-a hot menage with hunky dragon shifters; what could be better.

JeanMP said...

I absolutely loved that excerpt, it was funny and hot. This sounds like a wonderful read for sure.

Deb830 said...

OMG, I have to get this now. What a great excerpt. I love the humor and the strong characters. Whack-a-doodles was almost as funny as the Easter bunny part. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

deb ;0)

katsrus said...

I really like the humor in it. The story sounds really good.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Anne said...

Not a big dragon fan although I've enjoyed a couple of series with them. This sounds like a really fun read though. I always enjoy a feisty granny, or in this case, aunt, in the mix.

Tilly Greene said...

Yum, I love to read red hot dragon love! Congrats on the new release, Jodi, and please leave a link so we can go buy!

Thanks for sharing!

Tilly

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

The blunter the better. Cut to the chase! I love a man that can speak his mind! Thanks for the excerpt. Miranda

Judy said...

Great excerpt!! I can't believe all the new dragon books!! Like I stated on another blog, I love dragons, I have a collection of them in my hutch!!

Will put this on my TBR list!!

snowl3prd said...

OMG, I had not read this author before, but after reading the excert, it is going on my list to buy in the near furture. Thanks for adding this author.
Heather
Snowl3prd@yahoo.com

Stephanie said...

LMAO!! The humor and seriousness of the sitch is terrificly blended. Definitely haveta have some Dragon Love as per my e-mail lol
And I LOVE Emmaline! Is she inspired from someone or is she a product of your imagination?

DragonStar1974@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Dragonshifters?

Two of them???

I think I just went to heaven!!!!

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com
in Germany

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi,

Congrats on release day :)! This one sounds so awesome. Loved the excerpt. I can tell Aiden and Jace will already be favorites of mine lol.

Pam S
pams00@aol.com

Suzette said...

Oh I really want to read this!

Suzette F
latinlady6929@yahoo.com

Jodi Redford said...

Thank you for all the wonderful comments, everyone! It looks like a bunch of you are fellow dragon lovers too. Yay! :)

I just want to say thanks to the super fantabulistic Tilly for letting me be a part of her awesome Big Huge Reader contest. There's been a ton of great authors and excerpts and my wallet is groaning as a result. Oh yes, a buy link. Your wish is my command. http://tiny.cc/swgac

Sorry, I have no idea how to make that a live link. I'm pretty sure if I tried I'd end up blowing up my computer or something. Yes, I am that dangerous when it comes to techno gizmo stuff. ;)

Jodi Redford said...

Stephanie--Emmaline is kinda sorta based on someone I actually know, but a good part of her personality comes strictly from my twisted head. ;)

s7anna said...

Ooh baby that's a great excerpt! I love how you've blended humour into a very (what I know will be) sexy story.

I love your work Jodi...can't wait to read this latest from you.

*hugs*
Anna
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Andrea Becraft said...

This book sounds so good!

I can't wait to read it!

dreabecraft520(@)aol.com

heidi330 said...

Sounds really good, I can't wait to read it...


heidijohnjeff AT verizon DOT net

Heidi

Cathy M said...

Dragon, menage and humor, my three favorite things. This is going to be such a fun story to read.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Fedora said...

Jodi, this sounds entirely delicious! Is this a stand-alone title, or can we look forward to more dragon shifters? :)

f dot chen at comcast dot net

jeanette8042 said...

Love dragon shifters and it sounds like a fun read! Loved the excerpt!

The Scarf Princess said...

I love a good menage with some sexy shifters. This is definitely going on my wishlist.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Jodi Redford said...

Hey again, everyone. Man, you're really making my release day extra awesome with your wonderful comments. I'm so happy to hear there are readers out there who love dragons and humor. Two of my loves in life. :)

flchen1--This is the first in a planned series. I have at least two more that will include characters from this book. But considering my love of writing series, I suspect that number will be growing. Thanks for asking!

Jane said...

Cool, I have another dragon shifter book to add to my list.

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

Lovie said...

Awesome. This one just went to the top of TBR list. Dragon shapeshifters and two of them to playwith. Love the aunt. Will watch for more from this series.

*yadkny* said...

Hiya Jodi,
I haven't heard of a good dragon tale in a long time. I am hooked after reading that excerpt, so now I am off to go buy this one :)

booklover0226 said...

Hi, Jodi.

You're a new author to me but not for long! I just read the excerpts to your other books and can't wait to read them.

I look forward in reading your current and future works.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

ladydi6497 said...

I have fallen in love with this story. I will have to get the book.

LORETTA CANTON said...

I love story with alot of humor and I love Dragons.

lorettaC
lbcanton@verizon.net

Armenia said...

I'm missing out on Dragon love...I need to start this pronto.

Jodi, congrats on the release!

Gabby said...

Ok I'm intrigued, can't blame her for being skeptical though. For me that would instantly vanish the moment they changed into their dragon forms.

Yummy! I love dragons!

Good luck with release!

Sherry said...

I loved the excerpt and if the book is anywhere near as funny as the excerpt then I'll be laughing all the way through it.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Unknown said...

Wow - sounds really hot! I've actually not read any of your books yet, but after reading that, I definitely will! Where can you purchase the ebook that would be compatible for a Kindle?

Jodi Redford said...

Hi Brittany,

My books are available on Amazon in their Kindle store. If you put my name in the search field you should be able to find me. :)

practimom said...

What's up Jodi! did you have a good release day?

This book ROCKS!!!

Pamk said...

sounds like a great read. This one is on my tbb list.

Jodi Redford said...

Thanks again, everyone, for all the comments and best wishes. Not to mention letting me share the dragon love with you all. ;)You guys really know how to make a girl's release day rock!

Anonymous said...

I love Dragons! And besides that the heroine has the same name as my daughter. Dana! So I've got to get this! :)

Brandy B aka Brandlwyne said...

This looks awesome!!!

brandyzbooks@yahoo.com

*yadkny* said...

Just bought it:) I can't wait to start reading it!!!
I love the cover!

Jodi Redford said...

Okay, I'm about to doze off at my computer so I figure it's time I draw a winner. Inputing names in very high tech random generator thingy-ma-bob...

And the winner of the $10 GC is ...Judy!

Congrats!! Judy you can either leave a comment here with your email address or send it to me at jodiredford@jodiredford.com

Stacey Smith said...

i love package Deals.
sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com

Ann said...

Awesome excerpt. Can't wait to read the rest.
Tilly, you're killing my book budget, just thought you'd like to know. :O

Beth said...

I already have this one and it's up on the computer just waiting for me to finish all the other stuff I have to do. I'll probably be very late going to bed tonight(actually wee hours of the morning).

Anonymous said...

Congrats Judy!!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com
in Germany

Judy said...

Thanks everyone!!! This is great!!


Judy
magnolias_1@msn.com

Nicole Zoltack said...

This book sounds really good.

~Nicole
Nicole.Zoltack AT gmail.com

Rosie said...

What a great excerpt. I can't wait to read this book and check you out as a new-to-me author!

Unknown said...

Light My Fire sounds great! Adding it to my wishlist!