Sunday, June 06, 2010

Big Huge Reader Contest - Day 6!


Rocky Mountain Haven by Vivian Arend
Buy eBook from Liquid Silver Books
Contemporary Western Romance

Beth Danube has escaped to a small Alberta town to make a new start for herself and her three little boys. Her emotionally abusive husband may be dead and buried, but so is her heart. What she doesn’t want is another man in her life—not now, maybe not ever. Yet when her libido reawakens after ten years of unsatisfactory sex in the missionary position, is any woman strong enough to turn down sex-in-boots, Daniel Coleman?

The middle child of the rowdy Coleman boys, Daniel’s the quiet one who has always subdued his desires and acted as peacemaker. His powerful attraction to the young widow takes him by storm, and he’s willing to pursue her until they both find satisfaction—in and out of the bedroom.

Only Beth isn’t sure she’s ready to cross the line. Becoming friends with blazing hot benefits means she’s still the one in control. Letting her heart trust again? She isn’t that brave—or foolish. Daniel is going to have to be mighty convincing to help her overcome the past.


Excerpt

The porch boards squeaked softly and he looked up from where he’d settled on the porch swing. “You’ve got awesome kids. I’m sorry again about the swimming hole thing. It really never crossed my mind you didn’t know.”

She waved it away. “I’m embarrassed I didn’t figure out where they were disappearing to. I should have kept much better tabs on them. I’m so grateful you had an eye on them.”

He stood and peeked in the window. “Will you need to go and get them into bed?”

She nodded. “They’ll start on their own, but they’ll get distracted soon.”

Daniel smiled. “I think my Mama used to say it was like trying to herd cats to get us all in bed on time. I won’t keep you long, but…” He reached for her hand, linking his fingers in hers. She swallowed hard. Oh lord, it felt so good and scared her mindless. She stood, as still as a statue in spite of her pounding heart.

“I’d like to see you, Beth.”

She bit her lip. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

He turned over her fingers, his thumb brushing the groove on her ring finger that was slowly disappearing. After ten years of wearing her wedding band, the sign was still there, even though the ring was not. “You’re not married.”

She shook her head. “He’s gone.” He raised a brow and she had to say it, knowing the confusion not speaking plainly would cause. “He’s dead. He died in the accident that injured my leg.” Her throat went tight. Images flashed through her mind, the icy road, the glaring lights. The pain.

The guilt.

His fingers stilled. “I’m sorry.”

He pulled away, and she caught at his hand. Damn her indecision.

“It’s…okay. We were having troubles when he died, and I’m not grieving for him. Not really. I just don’t think it’s a good idea for you and me…” She couldn’t speak anymore. What she wanted and what she should do–why was it so damn hard to know which was which?

He squeezed her hand softly then let go and paced away. “There’s a whole lot I think you’re not saying right now. That’s fine. I’m still the man you met one night while you were in a drunken state and you don’t really know me.”

“I wasn’t drunk.”

He chuckled and she felt her face heat. “We call that liquid courage around here, darling, and you had some. I just want you to know I was serious back then when I said I was interested in you. I’m even more interested now, knowing you’re not a city girl living in some high-rise apartment hours away from me.”

“Maybe I’m not staying.”

“And maybe I’ll have time over the next months to convince you staying is what you need. I’m a good man, Beth. I’m not talking about taking over your life. I’m saying you intrigue me and you make my body ache. I think our attraction is something worthwhile exploring together.”

He moved closer. Her pulse pounded and she tilted her head up involuntarily to keep their eyes in contact.

Another step.

“I want to kiss you,” he growled. Their bodies were close enough their heat meshed and a little gasp of need escaped her throat. “Do you want to kiss me?”

Oh god. “I shouldn’t.”

“But do you want to?”

Desire and being responsible warred within her. Accepting his touch tonight would make it all that much harder to turn him down the next time.

He pressed still closer and their torsos connected, his erection rubbing her belly. Her back hit the wall as he caged her without using his hands. Their lips brushed together and she sucked in his air, the full body of his flavour rolling over her tongue like a fine wine. He kissed her tenderly, not the white-hot passion she’d replayed over and over in her mind from the bar scene, but a worshipful caress that started and finished with their lips.

When he pulled away his pupils were huge, his smile even wider.

“Goodnight, Beth.”

And he walked away, down the path that led into the trees.

Buy eBook from Liquid Silver Books

Vivian Arend Website


REMEMBER
Commenting and/or asking questions on an author’s blog for the day will enter you into the Big Huge Reader Contest for a Pink Sony eReader or one of three boxes packed full of RT Booklovers Convention goodies. Unfortunately, due to the grand prize being an electronic and weight of the other three boxes, this contest is for US residents only.

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an emotion-packed excerpt. Got me well and truly hooked!!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com
in Germany

Tilly Greene said...

Oh wow, yesterday I saw a set of photos of a sexy cowboy that made me want to read a western - and here it is!

Thank you Vivian :-)

Tilly

booklover0226 said...

Great, great excerpt. I love Vivian Arend's works and know I will love this one, too.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

After that excerpt, I've got this one on my TBB list. And I'm going to check it out to see if it is part of a series since the excerpt mentioned that he was the middle child.

Thanks so much for this fantastic month of giveaways.

Anonymous said...

forgot to leave my email address

pnc07 (at) aol (dot) com

The Scarf Princess said...

Great excerpt that leaves you panting for more. Sounds like a sexy read that I'm looking forward to.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

practimom said...

Oh i love cowboys, too! this is a great excerpt! on my TBB pile now

practimom@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Very nice expert. Book sounds great :)

Kristabel Reed said...

You don't see many romances set in Canada...or at least I don't but maybe I'm not reading the right ones!

What made you decide to set your series there? Are you from Alberta?

Marcia James said...

I attended a talk by a Liquid Silver editor over the weekend, and I'm very impressed at how many great authors write for that publisher. ;-) Vivian's book sounds great!

-- Marcia James
Marcia @ MarciaJames .net

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the excerpt. This book sounds really good and I have added it to my TBR list for the summer. I am always looking for different authors to read.
JOYE
JWIsly(at)aol(dot)com

JeanMP said...

I always enjoy stories that feature cowboys in them. That was a very hot, yet tender excerpt.
Definitely something I want to read more of.

skpetal(at)hotmail(dot)com

*yadkny* said...

Great excerpt, Vivian. I haven't read many contemporary western romances before, but this sounds really good. The cowboy on the cover is also a nice bonus.

yadkny@hotmail.com

jeanette8042 said...

I love the excerpt! Now I desperately want to read more, especially since I haven't read books with cowboys in it for a while.

lilazncutie1215 @ yahoo.com

Nancy G said...

Vivian writes with such passion for her characters-each book is filled with people you want to meet and get to know. I love that about her books.

Ann said...

Awesome excerpt. Can't wait to read it. :)

P.S. Hey Tilly! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Judy said...

This sounds like a fantastic read!! I loved the excerpt. I totally adore the cover!! This will go on my read list!!

Amy said...

I've read others by this author that were great. This sounds like another winner!

Cathy M said...

I am a big fan of Viv's stories, and thoroughly enjoyed reading the Granite Lakes Wolves series.

I haven't had the chance to start the Six Pack Ranch series yet, but love the storylines and have added both books to my wish list.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Jane said...

Looking forward to reading this series.

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

s7anna said...

I loved Rocky Mountain Heat so this is something I'm really looking forward to reading...it looks fantabulous!

*hugs*
Anna
s7anna@yahoo.ca
Canadian resident

Stephanie said...

Loved the sexual tension just flowing off that cowboy!! Whoo! Is is HAWT! Thanks for adding another book to my TBR pile!

DragonStar1974@aol.com

Nikki C. said...

Sound like a good read. I will have to put it on my TBR list. I have read her wolf series and like it so I will probably enjoy this one as well.

Stacey Smith said...

Ride a cowboy and save a hourse is all i have to say.


sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com

Viv Arend said...

Sorry for dropping in so late--I'm out camping with the hubby. :D

Glad you've enjoyed the excerpt ladies! And nice to see so many of my friends. **waves**

PhyllisC- This is book two in the Six Pack Ranch series. Check out my website for more information.

Kristabel- I grew up in Calgary, Alberta, so setting the series in the foothills of Alberta made sense. I've also written the Granite Lake wolves series, and that one's set in the Yukon and parts of Alaska.AND I have a new series set in the Pacific Inside Passage--the 1st book is Stormchild.
I love being able to write stories set in Canada.

yadkny- the cover is gorgeous, isn't it? April Martinez is the cover artist and she did a fantastic job on both books.

mrsshukra said...

Looks like another good cowboy romance, thanks Vivian!

delilah0180(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sherry said...

The blurb and the excerpt are great. I love Vivian's books they are always a great read.

sstrode@scrtc.com

LORETTA CANTON said...

Good excerpt. If she has not had good sex for ten years then she needs it.

lbcanton@verizon.net

Sue A. said...

Great excerpt, cowboy romances are one of my favorites.

Carol L. said...

Loved the excerpt. And I really like the cover. I always enjoy a sexy, cowboy read and this looks to be the one.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Suzette said...

Who doesnt love a Cowboy? Plus there's more than one!

latinlady6929@yahoo.com

CrystalGB said...

Loved the excerpt. I am a cowboy fan. :)

Caroline Clemmons said...

Wow, I loved that excerpt and the book sounds like one I have to have. How did you come up with the story? Do you get the setting or characters first? Do you live in Canada?

Caroline Clemmons said...

I forgot to leave my email. caroline@carolineclemmons.com

Deb830 said...

Hi Vivian & Tilly -

I'm playing catch up from a busy weekend. Awesome cover and excerpt. Nothing like a hot cowboy. I really hope he can convince Beth to stay.

deb ;0)

deb830@hotmail.com

Fedora said...

Viv, this is definitely on the TBB! Great excerpt, for sure!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Anonymous said...

I got this one for my birthday and I am saving it for my plane ride later this month. I know it is going to be hot and steamy.
deslauree3 at aol dot com

Viv Arend said...

Caroline Clemmons- this story started like most of mine do--with a single image of a scene. The rest of the book was built around that section, where beth explains what happened the night he first husband died.

Ali- it does have some emotional moments, but rest assured I am too wimpy of a writer/reader myself to make it graphic. I don't describe evil or hurt in detail, but we can still talk about the results and learning to move past them.

Desi- you're going to read it on the plane? Brave woman! Umm, you might want to be careful when they get to the phone sex... :D

If anyone is interested in reading a review:
http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artman/publish/contemporary/Rocky_Mountain_Haven.shtml

Andrea I said...

This is on my TBB list. I've been hooked since I read the first excerpt.

ainfinger@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

I have this book and can't wait to read it. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to have to move it to the top of my TBR pile!

susanmik@gmail.com

Pamk said...

i likey me some cowboys. this one sounds fantastic.

Stephanie Suesan Smith, Ph.D. said...

Abuse damages the soul and takes a long time to get over. Sounds like this woman is fortunate enough to meet someone who helps her do that.

stephaniesuesansmith@gmail.com
http://blog.stephaniesuesansmith.com

Rosie said...

Wow, there's nothing like a hot cowboy. Looking forward to getting this one!!

Viv Arend said...

Stephanie- you're completely correct. Abuse is a terrible thing that happens, affecting not just the women but their children. Still, the first step is to get out.

Really. There is no happily ever after without it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic read! ruthing73@hotmail.com

Booksrforever123 said...

another great Vivian Arend story. I just recently became familiar with her work in a midnight fantasies book.

desitheblonde said...

hi well i can say that i do read alot and your book all sound great and would be happy to read them and blog abhout them all over the place

Anonymous said...

Wow the excerpt is awesome - now I am dying to know what happens lol. Will be on my tbb list for sure!

Pam S
pams00@aol.com

Nicole Zoltack said...

What a great excerpt!

~Nicole
Nicole.Zoltack AT gmail.com